WE Design and Create
Viper Subsea was founded in 2007 to provide consultancy services to the subsea oil and gas industry and to develop innovative products and services in the fields of subsea control systems, subsea electrical cables and subsea hydraulic connection systems. More recently there has also been a focus on system integrity monitoring. Viper’s engineering team has over 250 man-years experience of subsea engineering built up through many years working with operators and first tier suppliers. The Company is named after the deep-water fish called the viperfish (not the snake!). The viperfish is a family of six species of marine fish belonging to the genus Chauliodus. They are dwellers of the deep-sea, found in tropical regions of the major oceans, just like a number of the products that are designed by the Viper Subsea Engineers.
Viper Subsea is an independent company that is uniquely positioned in the subsea controls industry and, as such, we have delivered products and services to a wide range of customers, including first tier control system vendors (e.g. OneSubsea, Aker Solutions, GE Oil & Gas), consultancy/project management companies (e.g. Intecsea, Atkins, JP Kenny) as well as many of the major independent and national oil and gas operators (e.g. Statoil, Total, BP, Shell, Chevron, Enquest, Centrica, etc).
Oil and gas are essential natural resources which provide fuel for our transportation, power and heating systems as well as ingredients to make many everyday items including plastics, steel, glass, detergents, paints, and even medicines, to name a few.
Crude oil and natural gas is formed over many millions of years by tiny sea plants and animals that died and were buried on the ocean floor. Over time they were covered by layers of silt and sand and the enormous heat and pressure that built up eventually turned them into oil and gas. Today, we drill down through layers of sand, silt and rock to reach the rock formations that contain oil and gas deposits. The oil and gas is then either pumped out of the ground on land or at the bottom of the sea (subsea). A subsea control system is used to remotely control the valves (taps) on the seabed from the rig or land based facility and to monitor the pressures, temperatures and flow of the oil and gas. Viper Subsea provides control system distribution solutions and components for the global subsea oil and gas industry. Our product and service offering covers the full life of field from providing expert system level input at the early stages, to the design and supply of hardware and on to asset integrity management of the installed equipment to ensure the system continues to operate.
Continued investment in R&D since establishment has resulted in a significant portfolio of patents and patent applications which is now leading to an impressive rate of growth in revenues, profitability and employment for Viper Subsea. The most recent innovation (V-LIFE) is saving industry Operators many millions in reduced operational costs and is extending the operating life of oil and gas fields. This technology, thus, significantly contributes to the ability of the UK to maximise the recoverable reserves from North Sea oil fields and is set to be exported to the global market place.
Viper Subsea has won several technology and industry awards for its innovation and novel approaches to industry problems, including:
- Winner of the Technology Innovation of the Year category at the National Private Business Awards 2014
- Winner of the Innovation & Technology category at the Subsea UK Business Awards 2014
- Winner of Best New Enterprise by Subsea UK
- Winner of 1st prize at the Sian Lloyd Jones Business Awards 2008
Products are developed using a typical development process consisting of various stages, such as:
- A review of customer requirements and market needs
- System and/or component definition and requirements specification
- A detailed design process including:
- Concept design, prototype assembly and test
- Detailed design, assembly and test
- Pre-production planning
- Qualification testing in accordance with industry and customer requirements to demonstrate that the product is suitable for the application
- Full productionisation of the product
- Design review at various stages of the design process to ensure the product meets all aspects of the requirements
- Confirmation of compliance with customer requirements as well as industry and legislative standards and regulations.
- Feedback from customers and other end users to ensure design improvements and additional features are considered
Discover more about Viper Subsea here